The Best Cinnamon Rolls EVER
My daughter calls these "the best cinnamon rolls in the world". She's 13 so you know it's the absolute, unfiltered truth. Especially since she has endured no less than a dozen iterations cinnamon rolls over the past month. These are fluffy, perfectly sweet and buttery deliciousness rolled up and baked to perfection.
You will need:
For Cinnamon Roll Dough:
1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
.3 oz dry active yeast (measured on a scale for accuracy)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
2 tablespoons buttermilk powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoon canola oil
1 stick unsalted butter ( for skillet)
For Cinnamon Spread:
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature, softened overnight)
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1-2 teaspoons half and half (to thin to desired consistency)
1. Add warm water to small bowl, sprinkle yeast on top, stir to incorporate. Set aside.
2. In a large glass or ceramic bowl, sift together the flour, buttermilk powder and salt. Make a well in the center and set aside. Using glass or ceramic helps retain heat better than plastic and promotes the best rising! Plus...it's better for the Earth.
3. Once yeast is creamy looking, add sugar and vanilla to water and yeast mixture. Stir well.
4. Pour liquid mixture into the well of the flour and add oil on top of the liquid.
5. Stir the flour into the liquid with a wooden spoon just until a shredded looking dough begins to form. It will and should be very sticky. That's perfect.
6. Remove the dough onto a lightly floured surface and spray or coat the bowl with a tiny amount of oil. Put the dough back in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set stove.
7. Preheat the oven to 425. We will allow the heat from the oven to help our dough rise while we make the spread. About 10 mins. Add 1 stick of unsalted butter to a 12 inch cast iron skillet and set inside oven to melt.
8. In a medium sized bowl combine brown sugar, molasses, softened butter and cinnamon. Stir well until smooth and fluffy. Set aside.
9. In another medium sized bowl, combine powdered sugar and sweetened condensed milk. Mix well. Add half and half to thin to desired consistency. We like a runny consistency. If you like a thicker spreading icing omit the half and half. Set aside.
10. Flour your surface well with flour and turn out your dough. Dust your rolling pin with flour and roll the dough to a rough 12x16 rectangle. The smaller your rectangle the less rolls you will have. Larger rectangle...thinner and more rolls. This size makes about 10 1 inch wide rolls with 1 inch discarded from each of the ends.
11. Spread brown sugar mixture edge to edge and top to bottom.
12. Starting with the long edge closest to you, slowly roll the dough away from you. Tease the dough up off the cabinet gently if needed. It may stick but should pull away easily with encouragement.
13. Cut off 1 inch from either end with a pizza wheel or very sharp knife.
14. Remove cast iron from oven and place nearby.
15. Cut dough in 1 inch sections and place in hot butter in cast iron. They should be snug and touching. 8 around the edge and 2 in the middle.
16. Bake for 12-15 mins until a touch golden brown on the bottom. Do not over bake. you can flake up the center of one of the rolls to make sure it's no longer doughy.
17. Allow your rolls to rest 5-10 mins before adding icing. ENJOY!
So this post contains affiliate links that we get a tiny commission on if you buy the product. We never recommend products we don't use personally or professionally.